Saturday, 27 September 2014

REVIEW || Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick

Book Title: Black Ice
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK, October 7th, 2014
Source: Publisher (via NetGalley)
Format: E-book, 384 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Britt Pfeiffer has never been that adventurous, but that's about to change. Wanting to impress her ex-boyfriend, Britt convinces best friend, Korbie, to take a trekking trip with her. But when a freak storm leaves the girls stranded they seek shelter in a cabin, where they find two knights in shining armour. Or so they think. Britt quickly realises that the girls need to get off the mountain, fast. In exhange for her life, she is forced to guide the boys down, and as they set out on a harrowing journey through the cold and snow, Britt realises the only way to escape with her life is to pretend she is on their side. But is gorgeous, sexy Mason an enemy or an ally? Tension mounts, and it's only a matter of time before things turn deadly... Dark and adrenaline-filled, Black Ice will have you on the edge of your seat right until the final twist.
*I received an advanced e-galley of Black Ice by Becca Fitzpatrick from Simon and Schuster UK Children's before its publication day to read and review - this in no way affected my review!*

Before seeing a a tweet, I had never heard of Black Ice and I only briefly knew Fitzpatrick as the author of the Hush, Hush series. I originally wanted to read Black Ice to get a feel for Fitzpatrick's writing style before committing to a series. I don't really think the blurb I read on NetGalley did this book justice - it made me think that Black Ice was another recycled love story that just happened to be set in snowy mountains, when in actuality Black Ice does not solely focus on the "romance element" as its main story-line, which I appreciated. It was so much darker and thrilling than I had expected it to be, Fitzpatrick produced it really well - there were so many ways it could have been written differently and I don't think any other way would have really fit.

In general, I only had two minor issues with the book; one being that I found everything [literally everything that happened] predictable - I would have definitely liked something a bit more mysterious, but as I mentioned earlier, Fitzpatrick's writing just had this certain captivation that even though the happenings were obvious to me, I still kept reading - furthermore it was really well researched, you have to hand it to the author, you can tell that this wasn't written on a whim but properly and I assume extensively looked into - all the descriptions and survival aspect was honestly brilliant in a slightly chilling way, if I'm honest.. And secondly, I enjoyed the romance whilst reading but I don't really like it - I can't think of another way to put this without sounding contradictory. Admittedly, I was a sucker for the great ending [ping! points won Fitzpatrick!] but yeah, the romance in the book... not my street scene, unfortunately.

Okay, to surmise; Black Ice was a well-written and original young adult book with a main character who transgressed throughout the whole novel into someone I admired, and I really thought that the way the author presented that aspect of the book was just marvelous. I definitely recommend this if you're a fan of Contemporary and want to try something a little different - if you enjoyed novels such as Adi Alsaid's Let's Get Lost I think you'd really like this book!

Rating = 4 Bookish Birds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.