Sunday, 19 October 2014

[JOINT] REVIEW || Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Book Title: Falling into Place
Author: Amy Zhang
Publisher: Greenwillow Books, September 9th, 2014
Source: Publisher
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton's laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High's most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force - Liz didn't understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn't understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang's haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Foreman, and Jay Ashner.
*Massive thank-you to Harper360 for sending us  free copies of Falling into Place before its publication date to read and review! This in no way affected our reviews!* 
I've been so exited for this book, and I was amazed that I had gotten and early copy, I wanted to read it immediately but made myself wait so that I could finish my current read (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) and I'm glad that I did wait because I don't think I would have had as good a reading experience if I had started it in my excited frenzy. I was able to savour the book rather instead of rushing through it.

Unfortunately, Falling Into Place fell short of my expectations. Don't get me wrong it truly is a really well written book, I mean, there isn't a single fault that I could find in the book. Its unique, told from a striking perspective, and just generally brilliant. I did truly enjoy reading Falling Into Place. The only thing that let it down was the fact that I felt very emotionally detached from the book, and the emotion I was expecting to experience was such a huge part of my expectations and anticipation that when I finished the book and hadn't felt anything; I was really disappointed, there is only one way to say it and sadly its not what I wanted to end up saying about this book.

In the end Falling Into Place also made me felt slightly stupid and inadequate, because everyone who had read it was talking about the mystery narrator and who it actually was; and I'll be honest, I didn't have a single clue, nothing, nada, zilch. Yet everyone else seemed to share the answer.

I also had been very excited to get this book, but unlike Fionnuala, I started it quite soon after receiving it. I kind of wish that I had more time when reading this book because I feel like I, not only, could have read it faster, but could have appreciated it more had I not been reading a little then having to do some work. 

I really enjoyed Falling Into Place. As Fionnuala said, it is an extremely well written book. I loved the unique perspective, and found that it almost made me read the book faster because I felt like I wanted to know who or what the unique perspective was. This book does make you think about who is affected in these sorts of situations and how much we can influence each other. I found this book to be very emotional and I think that added to my enjoyment of the book, although I feel part of the emotion I felt was almost drawn upon from the emotion I felt in similar situations that have happened to my over the past few months.

Also, the fact I understood a lot of the Physics mentioned in the book made me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.