Thursday, 16 October 2014

REVIEW || Inside Divergent: The Initiates World by Cecilia Bernard

Book Title: Inside Divergent: The Initiates World
Author: Cecilia Bernard
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books, February 11th, 2014
Source: Review copy from publisher!
Format: Paperback, 144 pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Illustrated with more than 100 photographs - many never before seen - this eye-catching volume takes you inside the film version of Divergent where you'll discover the factions, meet the initiates, and enter the thrilling dystopian world.
I only got round to finally reading this review copy when I found it whilst re-organizing my bookshelves the other day  (cringe for un-organization), it was in a pile with other books that I wasn't able to find a designated place for - I was really excited because I am a fan of the film and an even bigger fan of the books, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Inside Divergent is basically a lengthened pamphlet informing you about the world of Divergent in a very basic way - it was like a very simplistic transcript just with a great layout and brilliant photos.

Whilst I can see that people who haven't read the books may enjoy this along with the film but since I have read the books, this just didn't offer anything new or interesting for me. Half of the time my eyes kept drifting away from the writing to just stare at The-*cough* the photo's, that's what I mean't to say... I'm not dismissing the fact that this book is really well designed and has some great shots, but it did very much feel like style over substance for me and I think if you've read the books you don't really need this in your life. Furthermore, there was no flow to the writing, no tempo, no humor nothing to make it discernibly unique. I get that its non-fiction but at least make it something people will enjoy reading.
Rating = 2 Bookish Birds

2 comments:

  1. Crikey! You've just reminded me I've got this (as well as the other one) to review. *facepalm* I remember starting one of them months ago and not really liking it... I must have forgotten all about them. :O

    Loving the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish I had the other one now because Amber reviewed it and she said it was way better than this one ._. Glad I reminded you though xD I am so terrible at keeping up with review copies, yet its impossible to stop requesting... this is a serious problem - WHY DON'T WE HAVE SUPPORT GROUPS FOR THIS!?

      Delete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.