Saturday, 29 November 2014

REVIEW || Girl Online by Zoe Sugg

Book Title: Girl Online
Author: Zoe Sugg (aka Zoella)
Publisher: Penguin, 25th November, 2014
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback, 352 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
Penny has a secret. Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment on her blog. But Noah has a secret too. One that threaten's to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever.
DISCLAIMER: This review is based solely on my thoughts of the book and not of Zoella or her channel. The fact I like to watch her videos has in no way influenced this review!

I really enjoyed this book. It was everything I needed it to be and more. I read books to make myself forgot my own life and this book was amazing at it. I read it in two days, even though the average time for me is two weeks!

Penny was a brilliant main character. I could identify with her clumsiness and embarrassment in situations. Penny is complicated, and I liked that. I liked that she had a human feel to her, that she felt more than just a character for me. Her relationship with Noah is fast but it works. It works when they fall in love so quickly. I liked that when it came down to it, you didn't find out everything about Noah. It made him slightly more mysterious and that made you want to keep reading.

The siblings in this book are best. One of my favourite things in YA novels is a very protective older brother and that is how I would describe Tom, Penny's older brother. He wants to and tries to protect her tries and that's just one of those things I like in YA. Noah's younger sister, Bella, was just so cute. I want her to be real and be my sister. As young as she was, she still was very wise but also very cute.

The plot is slightly predictable, the secret that Noah keeps is hinted at but I didn't guess it so I did find it quite shocking. The style of the book was great. The blog posts and text messages being included and shown like real text messages and blog posts was a really nice touch.

The panic attacks in the book were handled well. Zoe has being suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for many years so knew how to deal with them and write about them in a delicate and real way. I like the way they have been talked about. As someone who supports the inclusion of mental health issues in books, I think Zoe has done a nice job.

I have to add that I can see some of Zoe's friends and family in this book. I don't mind that. In fact I always like to ask if characters were based on anybody in real life, or at least elements of them. So for me that's a big yes. I really enjoyed this book. I know not everyone will, but for this book was very good! I am interested to see what Zoe publishes in the future.

Rating= 5 Bookish Birds



5 comments:

  1. Hi Zoe and Fi!
    It's been way too long since I've visited your lovely blog and I need to say how much I adore the new look!!! This was next on my tbr and I was feeling iffy about it seeing as we had no prior proof of Zoellas writing skills, but this review has made me really excited. Hope you're both well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Zoe! I'm really looking forward to reading Girl Online, it sounds really good. I also get quite bad anxiety so I'll be able to relate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it when you read it! :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I didn't like it quite as much as you did - I wasn't keen on Bella and I did guess Noah's secret - but I liked the style and would read more from Zoella. And agree the blog posts are a nice touch and thought the stuff on panic attacks was excellent. It was a v quick read for me as well, kept me wanting to find out more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to read this book. I am looking forward to it after reading your review. I never came across a book before that included texts and blog posts so that should be interesting. I really like how she addresses mental health issues, not many books do that.

    Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.