Tuesday, 9 December 2014

DISCUSSION || TBR Piles & Mood Reading

There is one thing I find mentioned more times in my day now that I'm involved in the blogosphere and more so involved with all things bookish, and that is the phrase "to-be-read" or TBR, and consequently we all have our TBR piles or TBR shelves - I think you get the point... and its basically a fact of life that book bloggers will at one point or another struggle with their TBR pile, I mean, if you have not encountered this problem at all then I am in awe of you, please be my Yoda. If you still haven't got the idea yet a TBR pile is basically a pile of books (or e-books, but then its not technically a pile) that you want to read in the near-future.

Its a great way for book bloggers to prioritize books and review copies plus it also makes picking what to read next easier because rather than having to stand back and survey your shelves you already have a dedicated pile of books that need to be read. And then there's this breed of book blogger called mood readers, I happen to be one of them. Being a mood reader throws this entire system out of tandem, because we mood readers are totally freaking awesome and read whatever we want whenever we want. As a result, I'm very bad at keeping up with TBR piles so much to the point that I don't even bother making them anymore. 

Of course, there's books I know I want to read as soon as possible e.g. THE NEXT A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE BOOK and no matter my mood I would pick up that book and read it. Yet, a lot of the time my progress with review copies and ARCs (advanced reader copies) from publishers gets halted because I just won't feel like reading any of them, sometimes I'd just much rather curl up with one of the Harry Potter novels and revel in a re-read. But that doesn't mean I don't have a TBR at all, I do have a pile of books that I've categorized as "to-be-read-as-soon-as-my-silly-mind-decides-it-wants-to" and I have a shelf on GR (Goodreads) dedicated to TBR books.

I just don't necessarily give it any credit really. I could do the obvious things and force myself to read review copies that need to be read, but I don't see the point in that, mainly because if I force myself to read something and I don't enjoy it then I can't be 100% sure that it was actually because of the book or if it was only because I didn't actually want to read it. So it would be unfair to the author if I were to give their book a bad review on the basis of my mood.

Really, this was just something that was on my mind and that I decided I want to talk about. I've thought about discussing both topics separately before but then it just popped into my head that they both go hand in hand, so I might as well talk about them together! In case you couldn't tell this is a pretty casual post, and I'm sorry for not posting since the beginning of the month - even though its only been a week to you guys, its been seven days of stress-fully trying (and failing) to write posts for this month, again my mind is annoying because its just not in the blogging mood right now. Blergh. On the bright side that means I can recline with Red Queen, sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Fionnuala! I am a total mood reader. I always make a list of books I'll be reading the next month and I never, ever stick to it! Some days I feel like a fantasy, other days I feel like a contemporary and if I'm not in the mood for a book, I won't force myself to read it because I know I won't enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a mood reader too and I LOVE re-reading books (especially Harry Potter). And I just got Red Queen and can't wait to start, is it good?? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, Fionnuala (I love your name, btw)! :D I am definitely a mood reader. I wish I wasn't, as it makes me fall into slumps so much easier, but oh well...I get by. My TBR isn't prioritised at all. I have my physical TBR which is just all of the unread books I own whether they be from publishers to review or I've been gifted them or I've bought them, then I have a mental TBR which is books I don't own but really want to read soon and then I have a goodreads TBR which is literally all the books I want to read...I just read whatever I feel like at the time, though I do try to prioritise review books and library books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Nice blog!
    Follow you!
    Follow me back?!
    ^^
    http://ann-kos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.