Tuesday, 13 January 2015

REVIEW || The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

Book Title: The Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1)
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co, July 8th, 2014
Source: Bought!
Format: Hardback, 486 pages
LinksGoodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository
A princess must find her place in a reborn world. She flees on her wedding day. She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection. She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father. She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan. The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance. Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.
Before even going into this review I have to give a massive shout out to a certain someone, who I’m sure you all tired of hearing about now – obviously, I’m talking about Arianne, it was her review in the first place that made me extremely excited for this book (this was actually one of my most anticipated reads of 2014 after that review!), and then she was there for me throughout the entire reading journey (inevitably, I shared her love for Rafe).

Ah, wow, yeah, I don’t really know how to properly start off this review – simplest things first I suppose, The Kiss of Deception was fantastic, amazing, brilliant; take your pick of the adjectives that I will probably repeat a lot throughout this post. It really is a gem, sitting on my shelf looking all innocent when in reality it has very quickly become one of my favourite fantasy novels, of all time. I’m sorry, I just need to pause and talk about the cover – it looks totally mundane in the image, but it is so so so much better in person, I bow down to the awesome designer who brought this into existence. Moving on swiftly.

There are so many different aspects of the books that I loved and adored and if I were smarter I would probably bullet point them very efficiently, but I’m not so I’m going to ramble a lot, hehe. The thing that struck me first off, from the very beginning, were the magnificent descriptions that Pearson had weaved consistently throughout the entire novel. Not once did they falter, or feel repetitive – she really brought every scene, every emotion to life.

Similarly, the plot itself was absolutely fantastic, I did have my reservations about it because about two thirds of the way through it slowed and I wasn’t as immensely hooked, but I can see the necessity of it now and its doesn’t really bother me. Yet, I can’t help but wishing for some more plot development somewhere, even though I know it was for the purposes of further development in the sequel, it’s just a nagging thought. The ending was truly brilliant and I think tied up the book nicely, which may sound kind of strange since nothing actually ended – but it’s the best way I can describe it. The cliffhanger killed me a little bit inside, I want to know what happens already!

I definitely think it’s rather Game of Thrones-esque in its feel, writing style, and the general intricacies that inhabit every inch of the book. One element that I felt could have been improved was the voices of the characters – the book is told from various perspectives (well, three to be exact) – they weren’t very distinguishable from each other and often times I had to flip back and forth to check who was speaking/narrating. 

I think, apart from the spineless piece of barbarian trash a.k.a. Kaden, I liked all the characters, surprisingly – each one was written well and unlike with the character’s voices in chapter alternations it was easy to tell who was speaking as they were all quite distinctive. Let's not forget Rafe who won me over at first with his assassins allure, needless to say I was... startled when I found out he was actually the Prince - because I was already biased towards the Prince I didn't want to like Rafe but eventually I gave in and now he's won my heart.

Overall, The Kiss of Deception was a truly magnificent fantasy novel which immersed you in its world with every turn of the page, and every other sentence. In actuality I would give this book 4.5 stars if I could! It’s perfect for fans of the A Song of Ice and Fire series and if you like well structured novels which will leave you itching for more, then definitely pick this one up! I think anyone could read this and love it, so don’t be deterred but it being a YA novel – its brilliant and I will be book pushing this at everyone (so don’t be surprised if I force it upon you…).

Finally, all I can really do is urge you to read this book! My review definitely doesn't come close to describing the torch I carry for this novel now (incidentally, obviously...) and there are much better than me who have articulated their thoughts perfectly (ehem, Ari) but I did my best and at the end of the day I'm happy that I've spoken about everything important.
Rating = 4 Bookish Birds

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the cover for this too! I really want to read the Kiss of Deception, it sounds amazing and right up my alley! Fantastic review, Fionnuala! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG for once I've actually read this before! Cause, you know, I don't read a lot of books. . . but this book was AMAZING! And I thought Rafe was the assassin at first, but I gotta say, I'd always been leaning towards Kaden. . .

    ReplyDelete

Hello, lovely readers! I value every single comment I get, and try to reply to every one. But if your comments are mean, vulgar, or have nothing to do with the blog they will not be approved.